Bisexuality Bias: What’s With the Double-standard?

September 20th, 2011  |  by Veralyn Williams |  Published in Blog, Dating Chatter, Videos  |  7 Comments

While off the top of my head I can name 5 different references of how our culture has embraced female bisexuality:

1. Madona and Brittany Spears kissing on MTV’s VMA’s
2. Katy Perry’s 2008 hit: “I Kissed a Girl”
3. Lady Gaga: During a Barbara Walters interview admitting, “I’ve certainly had sexual relationships with women”
4. MTV’s Bisexual-themed reality dating show, “A Shot at Love with Tila Tequila”
5. The Fox teen-drama, “The O.C.” – the first time I saw girls kissing on TV

I certainly can not do the same for Bisexual males. In my latest vlog, Bisexuality Bias: What’s With the Double-standard?, I ask why.

Do you agree there’s a double standard when it comes to male sexuality? Why do you think that is?

Responses

1. Lady Zombie says:

September 20th, 2011at 3:56 pm(#)

This is a great topic – I am happy to have discussed it with you. It’s interesting to hear so many different perspectives.

2. Pauline P. says:

September 21st, 2011at 3:38 am(#)

Because men think it is sexy for women to be bi. Who thinks it is sexy for a man to be bi?

3. Ms. Veralyn says:

September 21st, 2011at 3:40 am(#)

There are some woman. I’ve met a few. So I say lets talk about it, so more men feel the same freedom to come out… whatever that means for them…

4. Val says:

September 21st, 2011at 1:53 pm(#)

Loved it Vera. I do agree with the fact that a big part of it has to do with Monogamy, but honestly? Thats a big issue in the “straight” world as well. Male or Female, is one enough? These are men who are opening that door and taking a step on the other side. It’s as easy to close as it is to open.

5. Ms. Veralyn says:

September 21st, 2011at 1:57 pm(#)

You mean “easy to close” when trying to be monogamous? –> One would hope, but if not- I wish people would just be honest. I believe there is somebody for everybody… no mater what your needs are!

6. Lady Zombie says:

September 21st, 2011at 3:57 pm(#)

I’ve met many sexy, bisexual men – I’ve developed great relationships with some.

7. Dave says:

September 21st, 2011at 4:35 pm(#)

Sex At Dawn by Christopher Ryan and Cacilda Jetha discusses some really interesting research about the physiology and behavior of women and men. Women have, “greater erotic plasticity,” which helps explain why it seems more normal for straight women to enjoy a bi experience, while it’s much less common for the dudes. Interestingly, women who identify as lesbians have lower erotic plasticity too, which helps explain my complete and utter lack of success hitting on them. Then again, I would hardly describe myself as successful hitting on the straight ones either, haha

Leave a Response

Video Feature

My Latest Podcast Work

SLATE REPRESENT, a weekly show I launched, is a forum to discuss movies & TV created by and/or about women, people of color, and those in the LGBTQ community with critics and filmmakers alike.
SLATE DOUBLE X GABFEST, a bi-weekly podcast that discuss feminism, gender, sexuality, health, politics, Beyonce and other issues of interest to women and their friends.
PANOPLY'S FAMILY GHOSTS, a six-part documentary series that explores the spirits, questions, and secrets that haunt our family histories.