Have you heard about my skin issues? (Read all about them here: Part 1 & Part 2.) Well, up until this point I’ve just been focused on getting an accurate diagnosis and treatment… and not trying to think about the scars left by the white-pimple-looking-outbreaks that have healed. But now that I’m on the road to full recovery, I’m thinking it may be time to start “mapping” the vanity road.
On my arms, chest, torso, hair line, (and yes even) my face- you will now find black marks. Visual blights on the skin I once wore proudly, as my chocolatey-armor. But I’ve felt thinking about my appearance, over my health seemed beyond vain, and even dangerous.
Ultimately I believe the #1 thing I need in life is confidence, and I’ve done a lot of self-work to make sure I have that with me at all times! (Of course some days are easier than others.) But my friend Jess alerted me to the fact I need to start taking care of my scars ASAP!
I’ve known Jess for over 10 years, and she has always had beautiful skin! According to her, it’s not all genetics. She has a skin care regimen she has perfected throughout her life, and so she gave me a few tips to get me started.
She broke it down into 2 parts: Emergency care (for the scars) and Basics care (for on-going maintenances)
Emergency Care Tips
- Wash skin with distilled water (aka filtered water) using a fresh wash cloth, daily until I see results.
- Apply Apple Cider Vinegar (with The ‘Mother’) on skin using a face pad, daily until I see results.
- Apply a face masque to scars, every other day until I see results. [Recommendation: Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque]
- Before bed, apply Mederma gel to scars, daily until I see results.
Basics Care Tips
- Wash face once a week (or as needed) with Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soap, using a fresh wash cloth.
- Every night apply an oil to face. [Recommendation: NOW Solutions Organic Almond Oil] Use hot water and a fresh wash cloth to rub off.
- Once my skin is clear: Start applying a night cream to face before bed. [Recommendation: Alba Botanica Natural Even Advanced Sea Lipids Daily Cream]
- In the morning wash face with water using fresh wash cloth.
- Drink 2 litters of water a day.
Things to Note
1. Jess has A LOT of 100% cotton wash cloths, because she uses a fresh cloth 1-2 times a day. She says reusing a wash cloth can reapply bacteria, you’ve previously removed. And she strongly recommends 100% cotton, because nylon wash cloths trap moisture and bacteria, which can also remain on your skin.
2. It took Jess years to figure out what worked for her basic care regiment, so she recommended I only buy small quantities of these products, until I know for sure they’ll work for me.
3. At the end of the day, Jess says her #1 secret to great skin is her Ortho Tri-cyclen Lo Birth Control Pills! Though again, everyone’s body is different!
Ok. As a girl who’s never maintained a skin-regimen for longer than a month, I must admit this all feels like a lot! But I will give it a real honest try. Today I will be heading to Whole Foods (a place I haven’t ventured much) to pick some of these things up. Jess suggested I don’t spent more than $50 this time around. Her advice to cut cost is to:
- Get the smaller sizes.
- Read the ingredients and swap products for a cheaper brand.
- Use Bounty paper towels, until I can get enough cotton wash cloths. (Though I realize that is NOT eco-friendly.)
Wish me luck! And let me know if you have any tips for me as well!